Saturday, May 5, 2012

Missing for 10 days, so Here's Day 1:)

Hola! Bonjour!:)

So, as you've noticed, I've been away for quite a while. Well, my Europe trip with Mama and bro is on it's 10th day now. I've been writing down something each day and I've been meaning to post it everyday but sometimes we don't get internet access so, it's quite tough.

I've got everything saved on the laptop but now I'm trying to work out the logistics of posting what I've been writing. I think I'll just post one a day. If I happen to have anything to add, then I'll just do it after my daily thoughts.

For today, I'm supposed to be asleep because we have a long day tomorrow but I can't help it, I finally have the laptop to myself for more than 5 minutes and even thought it's already 1am plus, I just have to take advantage of the wireless connection:)

I've been having a great time, really. It is an amazing journey and I still have 13 days of it. Well, here's Day 1:

24th April

Adrian drove us to the airport. Our flight is at 10.55am, if I'm not mistaken (which I am, and you'll soon find out why). We checked in our bags and headed to Kopitiam for some breakfast. At about 9.30, we decided to head to the boarding area, thinking that we should explore the shops there as well. Luckily we did because as it turns out, our flight is actually at 10.05 not 55! OMG!

We were rushing like mad towards the gates. Thankfully, we didn't miss the flight. That was too much excitement for me, right at the beginning of everything. We hadn't even left Malaysia yet!

Anyway, there's nothing much to report about the flight itself because it was really just the most terrible 12 hours of my life. I was just sitting, couldn't really do anything. I couldn't make myself pay attention to the movies of the songs or even the games. I couldn't focus and I was restless. I couldn't sleep comfortably either. It was really terrible.

The only really good parts were seeing snow capped mountains as we passed Nepal and landing, of course! Clearing immigration was not an issue. The line was quite long but they were working very fast, so no problem.

Once we got out of the airport, we took a bus to Victoria Station and then a coach to Faversham, where Ma's long time friend, Uncle Kumar, picked us up in his small Nissan Micra (one of the more common cars in England).

By the time we got to Uncle's place, it was already 11.30pm. So, in essence, the whole of the 24th was a traveling day. We had some bread and fish curry, then landed on the bed. We were all really tired. Man, at that point, the thought of spending another 12 hours in a plane to get back to Malaysia was the least tempting offer anyone could ever make to me, no matter how homesick I was.

Ish.... But the ride from the airport to Faversham wasn't too bad. We got to see a lot of the English countryside and some parts of the London town. Everything looked to picturesque and like it could've come out for a post card or something. And when the driver announced the stops, it felt like something out of a storybook. Everything, from the accents to the brick buildings, brought me back to those old movies and stories I've read. The voice in my head even adopted an English accent. I hope it doesn't stay too long.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment