Friday, November 12, 2010

Little Kathy and The BigBadWolf

The BigBadWolf's BigBadSale was spectacular!

 Not only was it well-organised, but the staff were super-friendly and the environment was comfortable. No sweating and pushing around or getting bumped into at all! Between us, we bought around 35-40 book and only paid RM439. If you're an avid reader in Malaysia, you'd know that the price was amazing. If I went to any other book store, RM439 will only get me around 12 books. As soon as you walk in, the whole layout becomes clear. It just a huge square area divided very expertly into different sections: fiction, non-fiction, children's books, magazines. Each individual sections are then organised and sorted out according to genre and authors. There were rows and rows of books and stacks of novels that cost so cheap with people looking through politely so as not to disrupt anyone around them.

It felt, to me, like a shopping spree. A true shopping spree where I didn't have to worry about price or debate whether the item was worth the money or if it'll serve me more than once. I just saw a book, evaluated it, and decided. If it was 'No', the book goes back neatly onto the pile it came from. A 'Yes' and I'd keep it with me until I deposited it into the huge cardboard box we commissioned as our own. I spent so much time going trough the fiction section that I didn't even look at anything else. If we stayed longer, I would have gone through the non-fiction section and grabbed more then a couple recipe and craft books. Not to mention magazines and some childhood favourites. I got myself around 15 books, guaranteed to last me the whole holidays, and more. I managed to get Inkheart and Inkspell. Also, the Princess Diaries Collection (not the whole thing though because they didn't have it. I still have a few more to collect), The Time Traveller's Wife, The Way Things Look To Me and some others. The sale was worth every cent.

There were some people who were obviously professionals when it came to this sale. They came prepared with trolley bags & plastic bag carries. Some bought 3 or 4 books. Others hauled 2-3 boxes of books. When we were queuing up, on my right was a group of about 5 ladies. Between them, they had 3 huge boxes overflowing with books and about 5 gigantic recyclable bags (like the big Jusco ones) jam packed with more books. They probably bought close to 200 books. I think they're starting a home library or something. On my left, however, was a lady with a trolley bag full to the brim with books. While everyone around her was struggling to drag their loot to the cashier, she coolly pulled her haul via the handle on the bag. I think I'll adopt that tactic for the next sale.

The only sad part was that I didn't get any of the books that were on my list. I should have expected that though. It's really hard to get the books you want in mega book sales. Popular series and such are easy but not the single, small time books. No worries though, because next year, I'll start hunting down the tiles on my list. You'll notice that I said 'next year'. That's because I've spent so much on books this year, more than the last 5 years combined, so I'm going to have to stay away from bookstores for a while.

 Now all that's left is to clear my room. I need to completely spring clean it. Every inch needs to be reorganised so I can fit in all my new books. The books shelf is already full but with some creative arranging, I'm sure everything will be fine. Now,I'm off to dream up a layout for my room. I'm bored with the current furniture arrangement so a change in decor is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment