Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Holiday Forecast: Bright With a Chance of Insanity

Ok, so I didn't exactly comment on my following days of exams. I have a good reason though. I was too busy reading! But more on that later. The exams went fine. English Literature wasn't too bad but not too good either. Every other subject went fairly well. Now, I have the rest of the week off for Deepavali which is this Friday. After that, one more week of school and then, about 2 months of... we'll see. It could be utter boredom with nothing whatsoever to do, stuck inside my own head or working. Boredom, I think, is inevitable. So we'll skip trying to plot against it. Same goes for being stuck in my own head. That leaves me with the option of working. I want to but I'm not so sure. I certainly do miss working there but so much has changed. I don't know if I want to alter my memories of working there. Holidays at home doesn't sound to bad anyway. Apart from total boredom and complete immersion in my own head, I still have my books and the wonders of modern technology (namely, television and the Internet) to keep me occupied. I've also been a little energetic about cooking. I've got scores of dishes in my head that I want to try. Maybe I should just stay home and make them? Though choice. We'll see how it goes.

Yesterday, we (Mina, Visha, Dinesh, Bengs and myself) went to Lookout Point for a little post-exam celebration. We got a little lost on the way but with the help of a nice young lady in a Kancil, we made it. We had lot of fun on the way, singing along very loudly to Lady Gaga (except Bengs, who just smiled and laughed a lot at out insanity). Going up was the fun part. We saw the whole city from up there. Lights everywhere and cars on the road. The food was great too. We sat and watched time pass by. It was very relaxing. Calming, too. I just couldn't help but feel small and insignificant looking at the whole city down there. It was mesmerising and kind of hypnotic. I would have stayed there the whole time if not for the others who wanted to take lots and lots of photos. (No offence to them though, I enjoyed the photo shoot as much as they did, I just wanted to watch the lights too). I guess that even though I may be loud when I'm with them, I like to sit in the quiet just as much. My outlet, you could say.

Moving on, my current literary adventure is non other than Artemis Fowl himself. I read the first 3 books in the series back when I was in Form 4. Now, I've caught up with the rest in the series and am waiting to get my hands on the next book. Artemis Fowl is a teenage genius who finds a whole new world, underground that is. A world of fairies and magic. His pure genius combined with the technological advances of the People(Fairy People, that is), his personal bodyguard named Butler, and a certain elfin captain help save both their races and more from annihilation more then once. His whole adventure will be too long to write out here so I'll say this; it's spectacular. I was at first flummoxed as to why I was so interested in this book. It was fantasy and reality packed into one and filled with so-called human misconceptions regarding the whimsical, so obviously I was drawn. The main reason, however, is the fact that these books keep me so tightly locked that I am immersed from the moment I set eyes on the first sentence. Each page is jammed pack with adjectives and descriptions of everything. My brain is constantly on edge trying to process each information and come up with proper imagery to follow the words on the book. It reminds me a lot of the Harry Potter Saga. Eoin Colfer's writing style is different, in my opinion, to that of J.K Rowling's but they both seem to highly relish the use of adjectives and descriptive sentences. They use imagery to thrust the readers into another world and both do so quite splendidly with their respective styles. These kinds of books keep me hooked till the last page. Nothing is predictable. It's filled with so many things that I can reread it a dozen times before actually getting bored. Also, I suspect that the two Sidney Sheldon books I read before this had me wanting a less darker place to put my mind in. Artemis Fowl seemed like the best option.

Bad news though. I've read all 6 books now. Finished it even before the long holidays started and before the Deepavali holidays even ended. I'm definitely reading it again, no doubt about it. BookXcess doesn't have the latest book, The Atlantis Complex, but I don't mind waiting until they do. There are other book and hobbies to pursue. Speaking of BookXcess, I went there with RM50 and left with RM1 and four books which would have cost RM35 each in any other book store. Oh, how I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment