Monday, December 6, 2010

Human Nature Can Sometimes Be Nauseating

Let's start with human nature. As I've said before (or have I?), it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. However, certain types of people, in my humble and angered opinion, do not deserve to be part of this world. We are all part of this world, made by God to live in it, to grow, evolve and cherish everything in and around it. But some beings, sentient beings, with brains and the works, must have missed that part of humanity class. A couple of days ago I saw a cat. This particular cat is a regular part of our daily lives. It sleeps under the big crate in our veranda, it's dining table is our back alley and it is even historically connected to this house. It's mother was the cat that used to climb in stealthily through the windows at night, sleep in the hall and climb back out before any of us wake up.So let me ask you this, how could any normal human being do such a terrible thing to an innocent animal who is trying to survive just as we are. When I was outside, I saw that the right eye if the cat was blood red and pooping out (not hanging out just popping out as big as a marble form its sockets). The fur around its head and front body was wet and it was purring sadly. Some one had poured hot water on the cat. This cat who has done nothing but eat the scraps of the road behind our house, the cat who keeps the children occupied while you cook, the cat that has no fleas and such an adorable face, the cat who has harmed you in no way has suffered in you hands for absolutely no reason. I fail to see the logic in that. I understand that some people detest the feline presence but pouring scalding hot water over them to chase them away is not right. The most you should do is wave a broom at them and keep your door shut. How would you feel if I poured hot water on you when you come to visit me?

This cat has a life, just like you and I. We define 'surviving' as having financial stability, emotional stability, a happy family, a steady career and so on. Well, for an animal, 'surviving' means finding enough scraps to eat, finding shelter when it rains, reproducing to ensure the survival of their species. Their plight may seem as insignificant to us adults as a child's plight to colour in the lines. But it is not. Can you remember, that as a child, the most important thing in the world wasn't paying the loans on time or getting food for the kids, it was making sure we coloured in the lines and our teddy bears were well protected against any night time monsters? As a child, those were the biggest problems we faced. Not important to an adult but very much important to a child. Paying your share of the class funds was just as a big a commitment to a teen as paying the car loan is to an adult. Do you get me by now? What I'm trying to say is, every living creature be it human or animal is trying to survive in different ways that are important to each in a different way and it is our responsibility to help each other. Cruelty to animal has to stop. When will we realise that animals are alive too. They each have a central nervous system just like any human being and therefore are able to feel pain, as real to any human being.

I'm not saying I'm perfect. Far from it. I can't be a vegetarian even if wanted to. I like to eat meat and I haven't been able to explain my unusually strong feelings against animal cruelty and yet still be able to consume meat. I haven't worked that out yet but I do know this; Cruelty towards animals is just as bad as cruelty towards human beings. It has to stop.

Moving on from depressing matters, I have exciting news.Today, on the way to work, I was stopped by a policeman. Just as I turned into the highway, a police cruiser signalled me to stop by the side of the road. At first I panicked. What had I done wrong? I was within the speed limit, I had my seat belt on, I wasn't drinking, eating, or on the phone while driving. So what was it? I sat there listening to my heart beat a violent tattoo against my chest while the police officer got down form his car and headed towards mine. I rolled down the window and gave him a small, nervous smile. Has asked to see my licence and ID which I handed to him with fumbling hands. He crossed checked it, made sure the road tax was still valid and then said, "You look really small to be driving". I could have laughed out loud! So then, my nervous smile became calm and I released a sigh of relief. He asked where I was headed and I told him I was on my way to work. Then he repeated that I looked too small to be driving as he handed my back my licence and ID. He let me go and I drove of towards the 'Sun' thinking; 'Finally!'.

Ever since I obtained my driver's licence, I was hoping a policeman would stop me so I could show off that, according to Malaysian law, I am not only old enough but also competent enough to be a driver. One dream came true today!

Oh and, even after our little shopping spree on Saturday, I still want to buy more things!

No comments:

Post a Comment