Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sabah!!!!

So, I finally found the time and energy to write about Sabah!

Let's start with the plane ride to BKI. We took off at around 9.45am, with a Captain Christopher in the cockpit. We told us that we were flying at a speed of 800km/hour, approximately 37000 feet in the air. It was heavenly! Literally, I mean. I got the seat next to the window so my focus was there for the whole 2.5 hours. It felt very surreal. You know how you sometimes wonder what it'll be like to look through someone else's eyes? Well, I actually felt like I was doing just that! But lo, it was me! All me! Captain Christopher said that we would make a right turn at the South China Sea before landing in Sabah. (I just had to write that down. So amazing, right?)

Anyway, we were racing through the clouds. I could just visualise Olympus, home of the Greek Gods, with Zues on the throne surrounded by all the others. The clouds looked like cotton candy or snow below us (we were higher than the clouds!). Even at that height, the Earth looked flat. It just goes to show how big the Earth really is.

Anyway, once I met with everyone else, it was already about 6.15pm. So, we headed straight to Donggongon for dinner. Before I go any further, I have to mention that the timing there is a little different than in Semenanjung. At 6.45pm, the sun was completely set, the moon was out and the stars were shining! It looked like it was already 8pm. Anyway, I ordered the Nasi Goreng Kampung (not the same), June and Kak Ira ordered Kuew Teow (pretty similar) and Julio had the Tom Yam Sup (nothing like it at all!). After that, we went 'home'.

'Home' was a pretty comfortable apartment with two balconies (front and back) and it was fully furnished. The best part of it though, was that view from the back balcony. Mount Kinabalu, clear as anything, towering over the smaller, so-called mountains around it. It was beautiful!

Mostly, we spent our time visiting people. Since June and her family hadn't been back in 2 years, everyone wanted to see them. I had lots of fun learning about June's family and meeting everyone. We met uncle's father, the village chief, who had an adorable puppy! Then we also me aunty's father, the very 'gaya' man even at his age.

We went to the Philippines Market near Wisma Merdeka. It was one long building of wet market stalls and another, equally long building of handicraft stalls. There were so many thing I wanted to buy but I didn't. Most of it I didn't need but the one's that made sense to buy, I didn't because I was being to indecisive! I did manage to get an I ♥ Sabah t-shirt though. Most of what I wanted to buy for people back home was there but I didn't get anything because I was thinking too much! Silly me!

The next day, we went around a bit in the morning and by night time, we were at the Ballroom, preparing for the wedding reception. Aunty Rossane looked gorgeous. She wore an off white, strapless wedding gown as she entered and after the third course (it was a Chinese sit down dinner) she changed in to a maroon dress. Both made her look like a princess! The dinner was not too bad, and the hall was pretty nice. As was the custom in Sabah, some cousins went on stage for a little karaoke session after dinner and even aunty joined in at the end. Everyone was scrambling to take a picture with the happy couple. June and family managed to steal them away for a few seconds to take a family shot.

When we arrived home that night, everyone was so exhausted. We slept and didn't wake up till late the next day.

I arrived home on Sunday night. I was spent! I had school the next day so once I got home, I had dinner and landed on my bed.

End of Sabah Trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment