Sunday, July 29, 2012

I Hate Hamlet!

So, I went for a play last night with mum and Bengs. It was called I Hate Hamlet. Written by Paul Rudnick, directed by Nick Dorian and performed by the T4YP year 5 ensemble as well as some from the alumni.

First of, I gotta say that I really like the KLPAC compound. Just being in the vicinity makes me feel so artsy! :) There's this one building; it's 2 storey's high and both levels are full of arches. It's just incredible. The brickwork walls, the many arches, the grass and the fact that it's kind of in ruins; it's just beautiful!

Anyway, on to the play. I really enjoyed it! I mean, I really don't know much about theatre and performing live but I really enjoyed the show and that's all that matters. The actors were great. I laughed a lot and of course, the script was hilarious.

Nick Dorian, director, was also in it. He played John Barrymore (ghost). He was really good! I've always liked him so, this is a no brainer for me. Obviously, I think he's great. I also really liked the guy who played the lead, Nabil (character: Andrew). I saw him in Twelfth Night a couple of years ago. Back then, he kind of swallowed his words but now he's awesome! And he's got lovely hair! The girl who played the lead's girlfriend was great too. She was very cute. I liked her character very much, almost insane but adorably so.

The story was about a TV actor who was  selected to play Hamlet at the open air theatre in New York. He wasn't confident that he could be a great Hamlet. So then the ghost of John Barrymore appears and convinces him that he'll be ok.

They work on it and he performs. Andrew, as it turns out, was terrible. But there was 10 seconds of greatness and Andrew ends up hooked on theatre. All in all, I loved the jokes and sarcasm. The actors delivered well, in my inexpert opinion.

I love watching plays, so much more than movies. There's just something about watching live shows that is so beautiful. It's art being made right in front of you. Like watching Picasso paint, or Micheal Angelo sculpt. Being right there while art is being created and brought to life. There's nothing like it.

Anyway, I had fun. Of course, one of the highlights of the night for me was passing Nick Dorian when we exited the theatre. I passed right by him! He's pretty tall, or maybe I'm just short. Either way, I was so excited! :)

I mentioned that on twitter and he replied! It was a good end to the week:) He probably thinks I'm a mad fan girl and he wouldn't be far off (I'm not actually mad. I just seem like I am :P ) But anyway, I'm up for more plays, especially if Nick Dorian is in it:) I might say hi next time! :) (Most probably not, I'd be incoherent.... Hmmm..)

No comments:

Post a Comment