Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Human Aspect (2nd post of the day)

NOW, something else.

All this while, I've never really considered the human aspects of migrant workers. I mean, they've always been there. I think of the as workers. They works for money and on their off days they relax. Just like any other worker. What I failed to really see is that they're more than just workers. They're human.

They have families too, and their own lives back home. They have husbands or wives, children, mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters that they leave behind so they can earn a better future for themselves and their families.

I met this guys at work. He's been in Malaysia for 2 years now. When he left Myanmar, his wife was 3 months pregnant. Which means, He's never even seen his baby! That is so hard to imagine, but it's happening. To not have held your child, your first born, when he was just a baby. To not be by your wife's side when she was in the delivery room. Those are what I call terrible moments.

He told me that he calls them once in a while and he speaks to his son. The son calls him papa over the phone even though they've never actually met. And I could see the immense love he has for his child. I can see in his eyes just how much he misses his wife and son, 24-7.

He said, 'When I talk to him on the phone, he just listens to me. He calls me papa. I love him so much! I miss him.'

That broke my heart. Every time this man talks about his family, he comes close to tears.He taught me this: Migrant workers have it a lot harder than anyone else. They leave their family behind (they'd rather not) to find a job that pays good so they can support their family. They don't go home for months, mostly years. I know another guy who hasn't been back in 5 years!

My heart goes out to them all. This man, he's going back to Myanmar for a month in April. That's all he can think about and I don't blame him. I don't know how he's going to find the will power to come back. I mean, he's going to see his son for the first time. I doubt he'll want to leave again.

Anyway, this is what I learnt. I learnt to see the human aspect in migrant workers. Something I'm ashamed to say, I failed to see before.

No comments:

Post a Comment