Saturday, December 12, 2009

2nd Chance Home

We visited the 2nd Chance Home (its linked BTW)in Old Klang Road today. Just to spread the christmas cheer. The men staying there were ex-convicts trying to rebuild their lives. It was definitely an experience. They all accepted that they have to change to live a better life and I have faith that they won't relapse because they're all just good people with bad pasts. We sang some carols for them and one of the founders told us about his own past experience. Apparently, he too was an ex-convict and he found God while in prison. His story was amazing. It wasn't anything special like a miracle or what not. It was simple. He told us about how he developed a fever when he first entered jail and how his 12 cell mates all wrapped him up in their own blankets and lifted him towards the one, small, 40 watt light bulb so he could sweat the fever out. That got to me. You hear stories about how prisoners are all mean and bullies and thugs but when you hear something as sweet as this, how can you not feel a little lifted by the fact that these prisoners have some good left in them?

Anyway, the house itself was amazing. It was a one story banglow. The ceiling was wood and the whole house was just so tidy (it had the characteristics of my dream house). There was a board of rules and regulations in the hall for the residents to follow (something I think all homes should have.. haha!) with the usual rules you'd expect. There was this one man (for the life of me I can't remember his name:( ) who would be leaving the home in 2010. You could see the excitement in his face. He kept telling anyone who would listen about leaving next year. How happy he'd be to go back to life and his family, to make them proud.

One thing they all have in common is their unconditional love for God. It's really something to see these men speaking so lovingly and reverently about God. I was born into my faith. Don't get me wrong, I love my religion and I love God, but to see people who are so obviously attached to God and who would follow his word wherever it led them was abit unnerving and mostly just spectacular. They made me feel ashamed about the times I've forgotten God or didn't have enough faith. I guess this year is all about finding faith in my faith (hehe.. see how I played around with the words?) and God just wanted to squeeze in another lesson before next year. :)

So, that was a great experience that I felt I should share. Most people and groups or organisations visit old folks home or orphanages (nothing wrong with that) but people rarely visit homes like this. So it was fun to get a chance. Thanks for tuning in.. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment