Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Avatar

The modem was out for a couple of days and this blog was meant to be posted on Sunday night. So, I'm going to do it now instead and hopefully I get everything out and don't miss anything that was on my mind that day.

I went to the movies on Sunday night with my brother, mother and cousin. We watched Avatar. I have to say that I wasn't really keen on watching this movie. I've heard good things about it but it just didn't attract me. So, I entered the cinema with no expectations at all (which I think I should do all the time). I actually enjoyed the movie. The storyline was pretty basic; lost hero saves a village (or planet in this case) and ends up happily married to the chief's daughter who was initially betrothed to someone else. I'm not complaining though, because Avatar was a really good version of that kind of storyline. The effects were superb and the imagination behind the movie was excellent. The whole idea of another race (the Na'vi) and their culture was beautiful. The various plants and animals and traditions were well thought out. I particularly loved the idea that the Na'vi would pray over the creatures they killed (they'd rather not kill anything at all) and thank them for their service (as food) or apologise for killing them. We depend on one another (remember the circle of life??) and that should always be kept balanced and not taken for granted or abused. Something I think we humans have not mastered. So, lesson one: be thankful and don't let greed or pride overcome you (which, I'm sorry to say, is happening non-stop among us, myself included).

The other part I loved about the movie was the faith the Na'vi had in their God/Deity/Great Mother. It was simple and strong. They were different individuals but all united in their faith. The way they prayed when trying to save the scientist was mesmerising. They were united physically and also spiritually. When the hero, Jake Sully, was praying to Eywa (the Nav'i God) to help them through this mess (the war), the Chief's daughter, Neytiri, told him that the Great Mother does not take sides, she only ensures the balance of everything. It made sense to me because God doesn't take sides does he? God helps everyone. Anyway, towards the end when all hope seemed lost, the various animals on the planet came to their aid and saved the planet. Neytiri cried, "Eywa heard you! She answered your prayer!". So, lesson two; don't mess with God, especially if people have that simple faith in God, because he can undo you as simply as he made you.

Finally, I loved the fact that the hero found a way to become a Na'vi forever. That way, he can stay with his bride and he can use his legs (he was disabled as a human). It was expected (the whole happy ending thing) but it was crafted very well and it didn't feel artificial. I also liked the part where Neytiri found Jake in human form and called him 'my Jake'. That was just so romantic. It got me (yes, I cried!).

So, that was it. Avatar. A good movie, well thought out, well made, well edited and well played. I haven't been this into a fantasy world since reading my first novel (I was completely immersed that I sometimes thought maybe all this fiction was real, or could be real). If you haven't watched it, please do so soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment